Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Wednesday, September 11, 2002

PRELAUNCH : GAME FACE


Shannon had his game face on.


People everywhere develop a game face. Like a Doctor becomes emotionally unattached when telling a family their father has weeks to live. But when at home he says "I love you" to his wife and really means it. Or when a Salesman thanks the annoying, question asking, time wasting customer for their business and still smiles. Its their game face... its how we survive the day to day drain of everyday life. We become what people expect us to be, a consoling doctor, a happy out going salesman.

After a period of time on social assistance the government deems you as "in need of further assistance". This came in the form of a forced re-education with twenty of my so called peers. On topics I mastered in elementary school, letter writing, meet & greet techniques. The aim of this course was to force you into employment using psychological warfare (a.k.a. sheer boredom). But I doubt Shannon got the memo.

He was the prefect guy for this job. Out going, great with people and a good storyteller.

I found myself looking forward to the classes. Shannon covered the work and spent the rest of his time telling us stories about his life in Japan. Tales of a far away land had me captivated.

I was able to befriend the leader of the pack - the one always first to answer questions, not afraid to speak his mind. Alpha male is the term used in psychology text books. Amazing how laughing at their jokes and showing an interest in people's lives can get you places. In his early 30's and freshly wounded from a messy divorce. We found common ground in making fun of women who had placed ads in the singles section in the newspaper. I didn't mean what I said, I respected women and wasn't a sour divorcee, this was my game face.

The alpha must have said something to Shannon because I found myself in his good graces. Shannon later mentioned that Alpha told him that he was impressed with me - for someone of my age anyway... Shannon & I became good friends, even after the course had ended. This saw me meeting his family, his Japanese wife and his son. He introduced me to Japan, showing me pictures, explaining what a wonderland place it was for Aussie guys and how people there would love me for my blonde hair and blue eyes - no questions asked.

Within a month, I had brought a ticket. Shannon had an answer for all of my concerns. He was going back in January next year and I was to meet him in Tokyo in March.

And this is how my story beings...

No comments: