Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

1 iN 6.6 BiLLiON

Tokyo makes you think... in the scale of things I am but one person in a world of billions.

As I sit here and sip my Starbucks Chocolate Mocha looking at the Hachiko Crossing which is in front of the Shibuya Station. This station alone sees 2.4 million people on an average weekday.

Or that the world's second largest train station Shinjuku Station sees over 3.5 million people a day. You can't help but feel like a tiny speck in the universe. What impact will my life have on the world?

I think about all of the people I have met in my twenty something years of existence. How many of those people did I really get to know? Would half of them even remember my name if I saw them today on the street?

In my entire lifetime will I even meet a quarter of a million people? All of the people walking past me now, they have their own family, in-laws, work colleagues, a circle of friends. They are the centre of their own world.

The idea of fate, destiny and the law of attraction seems to make more sense when you're staring at half a million people dodging each other in a crowd. Six degrees of separation says that everyone is an average of six "steps" away from each person on Earth...

If I disappeared right now, would anyone even notice? If each of those people gave me one yen I'd be a millionaire in a day. We are all consumers, brain washed by advertising. Working jobs we hate to pay for crap we don't need...

No comments: