Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Thursday, March 06, 2003

ALL ABOARD THE NARiTA EXPRESS

Tokyo Central Station is a forty minute train ride from Narita International Airport.

Have I mentioned that I have never used a train before, nor a ticket machine, nor Japanese money? Some people enjoy sky driving, I enjoy challenging situations. Look lets face it, in the day to day life in your home country its all autopilot. What percentage of your brain do you think you are really using to repeat tasks you have done a hundred times before? Like rats in a maze, run the course enough times and its mundane & automatic... is that living?

But travelling, you're presented with an unfamiliar culture, language, people, sights, sounds... an abundance of problems to be solved. Suddenly you're using your brain at a higher level. For someone like me its the prefect place.

Shannon had little to say, I think he may have felt a little guilty about not being able to meet me.

What I've seen of Japan so far is very flat, outside the train window it looks like we're out in the sticks, the countryside. I can see run down traditional housing, a temple here and there. Grey cloud blanketing us from above.

I must admit that last night sitting in that airport in Vietnam - I started to doubt myself. Asking what the hell was I doing there? Will I even be able to get work? Or would I find myself sitting there again in a few months when my money runs out?

I can see myself living here now for a year, over my doubts from last night. It’s really good to finally be here after being in transit for the last twenty four hours. Plus the adventure is only just beginning!

No comments: