Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Thursday, March 06, 2003

HOTEL HUNT

Japan is expensive, a normal motel room in Oz about $80.00 a night, in Japan about $250.00 a night... ouch!

But there is a solution The almighty Capsule Hotel, to explain it simply - its basically a plastic box in which you sleep in, with 400 drunk Japanese business men who missed the last train home. They are of course contained in their own plastic boxes and you do of course have a pull down wooden blind for your see-through piracy. These were attractively priced at about $30.00 a night.

After a little asking around we soon got directions to the nearest Capsule Hotel. Shannon didn't speak any Japanese when asking the locals for directions. I found this a little odd, seeing he has lived here for quite sometime and his wife is Japanese. One of my concerns before leaving Australia was the fact that I didn't speak the language. Shannon was quick to brush off that concern saying that most people speak English. Almost everyone he asked, didn't...

We asked another random Japanese person on the street, they seemed to be a little more helpful. He even drew a map. We walked off and he then ran after us telling us to go the other way.

We checked me into the Shinjuku Green Plaza Capsule Hotel, there was some confusion with yet another non-English speaking local. Shannon quickly resolved this by calling his wife and having her translate. So much for everyone speaking English!!!

With my bags dropped off we hit the streets. We grabbed a beer from a convenience store (which defies all laws and logic back home). With a cheers and my first taste of Japanese beer Shannon again welcomed me to Japan. He said he was really looking forward to having an Aussie mate here to hang out with.

This set off alarm bells, were these Shannon's true motives? Had I been played? Had I been led 13,000 kilometres from home because Shannon was lonely? How could I have not seen this? I know when people have hidden agendas or aren't showing their true face. I put these thoughts on the back burner and kept walking.

Right next to Shinjuku is well the Red Light District... We were soon approached by a short heavily made up Japanese girl. Who said, what I believe to be "Let's have Sex!" this was much to my surprise! Shannon and I had a good laugh, Shannon even walked back to ask her how much. Not even in the country a day and having women throw themselves at me. Of course there would have been a price to pay.

Shannon got the last train back out to where he lived, which is about a 40 minute train ride west of Shinjuku. I bid him a good night and returned the to Capsule Hotel.

No comments: