Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Monday, March 10, 2003

NOT ANOTHER GUiDE BOOK WORSHiPER

Travelling - the chosen pass time of Generation X. No other generation has had the means nor the sheer will to escape their home country. Australian's are every where; London, Tokyo scattered all across the globe.

I wasn't your average tourist, doing as instructed from an over priced, glossy, picture filled guide book.

"Tourist X" packs as much value into their plane ticket price as possible. Jamming every second of awake time with the sights written in black & white. Pausing only when for posing for pictures, catching their breath between the forced smiles. Setting alarms, scheduling every second, arriving home more exhausted than when they left. Gobbing down food between queuing up to buy tickets to see attraction number 5 on their "to see" list.

I wanted more from my travels, I wanted to see the real Japan. The gritty, unshaven man behind the mask. I didn't come here to see the sights - I came here to meet the people. In less than a week here I could sense that everyone was wearing a mask, almost a bred in trait. The culture has you keeping your interself in check. Doing what is polite and expected. I knew this because this was something I did everyday.

I can see myself fitting in here...

No comments: