Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Thursday, March 06, 2003

LiFE iS LiKE A "BOX"

The Capsule Hotel is what I expected. I had researched them online before leaving the comforts of home.

I now realised that Shannon and I had already broken the house rules, by wearing our street clothes up to the capsules after I checked in. You are meant to get changed into the hotel robes in the lower locker rooms before hand.

It was good to catch up with Shannon again. We'd only had short phone calls since him leaving in January, four months ago. He's really excited to have someone to share this amazing place with. I'm happy to have someone to rely on for advice and guidance while settling in.

I don't normally rely on others, you can't be disappointed that way. . So this was new ground for me.

I survived my first public shower. It was almost refreshing in the fact that something like that is so common place here. Not an issue, no one battered an eyelid. Such a different culture, back in Australia you'd have people freaking out at the thought. Its probably the first point of difference that I can report without a doubt. Public nudity is common place, acceptable and pretty much expected in Japan.

No comments: