Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Sunday, March 09, 2003

THE BEFRiENDiNG OF A FELLOW GAiJiN

I've been here for two days now with limited understandable human interaction. I've always enjoyed my space one way or another, it wasn't a burden to bare.

You gain focus, clarity when you find yourself away from what you know and understand. The fog of judgement and fast food opinions offered by your fellow country men soon fades away. Now its about the simple things. The kindness of strangers. A smile from a pretty girl. Single serve tomato sauce.

Here we were standing in front of the two most magnificent human construction feats I had ever seen. The Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. Standing at 243 meters or 799 feet tall. Matt videotaped his travels, eyes down the lens, capturing the moment he stood under the tons of steal reinforced concrete.

I met Matt in the Capsule Hotel last night. I asked if he needed a hand with finding his way around. He was back packing through Japan, a kind of post-university rite of passage. Another 'prove your independence' thing I didn't understand. My new found travel buddy & I walked around the business end of Shinjuku. Matt with his nose in a Lonely Planet travel guide we checked out the more interesting buildings in the area.

We had lunch, we placed our order by pointing at the plastic models in the glass cabinet below the cash register. Its almost like Japan was designed with Gaijin in mind. Have I mentioned that I have never mastered chop sticks? This was rather obvious to on lookers...

Matt suggested that we do some more sight seeing tomorrow, but I ensured him the job hunting must continue...

No comments: