Gain a better understanding of Japan and its people: The Gaijin Guide.

Wednesday, March 19, 2003

THE DAY i DiSCOVERED THE MEiJi SHRiNE

After days of hitting the pavement in job search mode I decided to take a day off relax and discover. I decided to just walk, not expect anything. Just walk and let chance take the wheel...

I walked for a while and soon found myself surrounded by tall trees and standing in front of a huge "Torii" (a traditional Japanese gate found at the entry to a Shinto shrine).

This was the last thing I would have expected to discover while just outside the centre of Tokyo! I had stumbled across the Meiji Shrine. It was quite the sight amongst the one of the most densely populated cities in the world.

The Shrine is dedicated to the souls of Emperor Meiji and his wife. I walked through the park, the size of this place is indescribable. I soon found myself in the main courtyard of the Shrine itself.

Surrounded by the walls of the shrine and the temple buildings. I had the incredible timing to witness a traditionally dressed Shinto Wedding Party walk through the temple court yard. Like a welcoming gift the wedding party paraded past.

Other Guide Book Worshipping Tourists snapped photos. I became slightly angry, this wasn't a tourist attraction, this was someone's wedding - have some respect.

The shrine and park grounds are extremely well maintained. The Shrine is located in a forest that covers an area of 700,000 square-meters (about 175 acres). The forest contains 120,000 trees of 365 different species all donated when the shrine was established.

I took my time walking around the gardens, sat on the grass and recharged my batteries. Sitting in the middle of this oasis you forget that you're in the centre of this modern day metropolis. A true contrast between the bustle of the city and the wind through the leaves of the shrine.

No comments: